1. Noted the Localities Assets Review’s initial findings and recommendations for each of the sites highlighted in Phase One as shown in Appendix 1 and provides any comments.
2. Agreed that sites deemed suitable as being surplus to requirements (up to a maximum disposal price of £500,000) authority will be delegated to the Executive Director of Corporate Services in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Governance to take all necessary steps to implement effect the disposal.
3. Agreed that where any proposed sale or repurposing of an asset is at a price in excess of £500,000 the decision to proceed will be brought back to Cabinet for specific approval to dispose on a case by case basis.
4. Noted that Directors will continue to provide regular, quarterly updates to Cabinet on the progress of these sites.
5. Noted the proposal to focus on the Council’s education sites under Phase 2, where officers will work with Academies and Maintained Schools to investigate opportunities to improve community usage across buildings, to repurpose surplus properties and to divest of surplus land if deemed appropriate. The expectation is that a report on Phase 2 will be brought back to Growth, Resources and Communities Scrutiny Committee in the Summer.
6. In respect of Eye Youth Centre, Officers undergo further research into grant funding opportunities.
The Cabinet also agreed to the following recommendation made by the Growth, Resources and Communities Scrutiny Committee.
The Growth, Resources and Communities Scrutiny Committee recommended to Cabinet that they ask for a commitment from the Thomas Deacon Education Trust to provide community out of hours provisions at the Walton Community Centre, should they purchase the site.
Decision type: Key
Reason Key: Expenditure or savings greater than £500,000;
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Wards affected: (All Wards);
Notice of proposed decision first published: 15/12/2023
Anticipated restriction: Part exempt - View reasons
Explanation of anticipated restriction:
Exempt appendix with financial data.
Decision due: 12 Feb 2024 by Cabinet
Lead member: Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Corporate Governance and Finance
Lead director: Executive Director Corporate Services
Department: Corporate Services
Relevant Scrutiny Committee: Growth, Resources, And Communities Scrutiny Committee