Review of Emergency Stopping Place Provision for Travellers within Peterborough
Cabinet considered the report and recommendations to try to alleviate any future issues caused by, and increases in, unauthorised encampments, and RESOLVED as follows:
1) That the Council converts the existing emergency stopping place in Dogsthorpe to a temporary stopping place by seeking full planning consent to enable the site to be used more that the current 28 days per year. The site will require some capital investment to bring it up to a reasonable standard.
That the site, with its extended usage, be trialled for a least 12 months before any other locations are identified to determine its effectiveness, to make particular reference to the use of the site by 2 or more families.
That this site is effectively managed and controlled to prevent abuse, including capturing occupant details, charging a nightly rate, and ensuring relevant legal processes to move occupants on after a pre-agreed period are followed.
2) To distribute a flow chart to all Councillors which details the process of dealing with unauthorised encampments from assessment to removal, and that the flow chart describes the new approach to Gypsy and Traveller management being finalised with the Prevention and Enforcement Service between the Council and the police.
Decision type: Non-key
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Notice of proposed decision first published: 20/03/2017
Decision due: 20 Apr 2017 by Cabinet
Lead member: Councillor Irene Walsh, Cabinet Member for Communities email@example.com
Lead director: Corporate Director People and Communities
Contact: Adrian Chapman, Service Director Community & Safety Cambridgeshire County Council & Peterborough City Council Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01733 863887.
- 20/03/2017 - Review of Emergency Stopping Place Provision for Travellers within Peterborough - MAR17/CAB/28
- 07/03/2017 - Adults and Communities Scrutiny Committee Review of Emergency Stopping Place Provision for Travellers within Peterborough 07/03/2017
- 20/03/2017 - Cabinet Review of Emergency Stopping Provision for Gypsies and Travellers Within Peterborough 20/03/2017