Cabinet received a report which followed a review of current day opportunities for people with learning and physical disabilities provided by the Council, which had been commissioned to understand if the Council was meeting people’s needs or if services could be offered differently and improved.
In the Medium Term Financial Strategy (MTFS), signed off by Council in March 2013 it was agreed that greater emphasis should be placed on supporting adults to maintain their independence for as long as possible, including, where possible, enabling them to stay living in their own homes, and for them to play a bigger part in the community in which they live.
Cabinet had received reports on this subject in December 2013 and then again in March 2014where it was agreed that future options should be considered in consultation with stakeholders, with a recommendation being brought back to Cabinet for consideration and implementation. The agreed model of service and the delivery vehicle would subsequently be subject to consultation with stakeholders.
In March 2014, Cabinet concluded that the current day service model was not compatible with personalisation and did not support individuals to maximise opportunities for independence. Cabinet therefore requested a proposal which took a number of factors into consideration.
Cabinet considered the report and RESOLVED to agree:
1. To an open tender for the delivery of day opportunities for under 65s which are currently provided by the council;
2. To provide a service for people with complex needs at Kingfisher Day Centre and have a micro enterprise situated within it;
3. Provision of community based satellite centres to provide independent living skills, employment and social opportunities;
4. For the 2015/16 budget to be amended to reflect the savings arising from the redesigned services;
5. A further period of consultation on the new proposed model of delivery.
Decision type: Key
Reason Key: Expenditure or savings greater than £500,000;
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Notice of proposed decision first published: 25/07/2014
Decision due: 15 Dec 2014 by Cabinet
Lead member: Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care
Lead director: Corporate Director People and Communities
Department: Adult Social Care and Health and Wellbeing
Relevant internal and external stakeholders.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee: Scrutiny Commission for Health Issues
Meeting Open to Public: n/a