Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Strategic Planning and Commercial Strategy and Investments
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
The Cabinet Member:
1. Approved to dispose of Whitworth Mill for £900,000
2. Approved associated surveying costs of £14,000 + VAT
The disposal of sites 7 & 8 will help the Council realise a capital receipt and free it from further expense of maintaining Whitworth Mill and from the risk and expenditure that it would otherwise incur if it chose to develop these sites on its own. The recommendation will enable the Council to achieve the development of two strategically important sites without further claims on public resources and will help to complete the regeneration of Fletton Quays.
Alternative options considered:
Several alternative options were considered including:
· The partial demolition of the Mill building, retaining only key facades;
· The Council progressing an alternative scheme to the unviable Arts Centre proposal;
· The potential to develop the site with a joint venture partner.
These options were discounted in favour of going out to the market with a clear development brief and inviting bids and proposals from developers.
Publication date: 12/03/2021
Date of decision: 12/03/2021