Healthy Schools - AUG18/CMDN/31
Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Public Health
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
This report is for Cabinet Member for Public Health to consider exercising delegated authority under paragraph 3.4.3 of of Part 3 of the constitution in accordance with the terms of their portfolio at paragraph (e).
The Cabinet Member:
1. Approved the award of contract via Cambridgeshire County Council to Sports and Leisure Management Ltd. to deliver a Healthy Schools Support Service in Peterborough for the sum of £177,434.40 from 1 September 2018 to 31 August 2021 with the option to extend for a further 2 years, following the completion of a competitive tender process.
2. Authorised a Memorandum of Understanding between the Council and Cambridgeshire County Council to be established to enable Cambridgeshire County Council to contract Sports and Leisure Management Ltd. on behalf of the Council.
Reasons for the decision:
Schools and early year settings have a vital role in promoting pupils’ physical, emotional and mental health and wellbeing. They are able to support children, young people, their families and carers to become aware of the importance of adopting healthy behaviours.
There is evidence that the adoption of a whole-school approach where the ethos, culture and environment promotes the health, wellbeing and safety of all in the school community enables schools to contribute to efforts that address health risks. This includes such issues as building resilience in children and young people, unhealthy weight, physical inactivity, tobacco use, poor emotional well-being and adverse childhood experiences.
Moreover there is clear evidence that there is an association between children’s health
and wellbeing and educational attainment, acknowledging that when children are healthy and happy at school, they can also achieve more.
Alternative options considered:
Issue a contract for one to two years. This was rejected as it was agreed that this would not enable a new service to be embedded locally and generate the required sustainable outcomes.
Interests and Nature of Interests Declared:
- Healthy Schools Support Service specification
- Healthy Schools Support Service Market Test paper
- Memorandum of Understanding
Publication date: 21/08/2018
Date of decision: 21/08/2018
Effective from: 25/08/2018
- 2018 Decision Notice Healthy Schools PUB PDF 92 KB
- It is not anticipated that there will be any documents other than the report and relevant appendices to be published.