Future of Solar and Wind Projects - FEB15/CAB/17
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Cabinet received a report which followed an internal review by officers and consideration by the Cabinet Member.
The purpose of the report was to consider the way forward in respect of the two wind and three ground mounted solar PV projects namely:
· Farms of Newborough (wind and solar)
· Morris Fen (wind and solar)
· America Farm (solar only)
In October 2014, it was stated that Cabinet would receive a report that the plans for wind and solar schemes at Newborough Farm and Morris Fen in Thorney were to be ceased. Final evaluations were currently taking place to determine whether the third scheme at America Farm should progress.
Cabinet considered the report and RESOLVED:
1. To approve the cessation of the solar/wind projects at the farms of Newborough and Morris Fen and that the two planning applications be withdrawn;
2. That in respect of America Farm, no further action is to be taken due to the insufficient information available at this stage;
3. That in line with the Council’s budget strategy, all cost be written off on the basis of a worst case scenario that the remaining scheme does not proceed.
Reasons for the decision:
That the Farms of Newborough and Morris Fen schemes be ceased as a result of local opposition, planning and financial considerations.
That no further action be taken on the America Farm Solar Scheme due to the insufficient information available at this stage.
Alternative options considered:
The Farms of Newborough and Morris Fen solar and wind schemes be progressed. This is not deemed to be feasible due to the implications identified in this report. It is also not feasible to consider a reduced scheme in these locations for wind and/or solar for the same reasons.
That the America Farm solar scheme should not progress further and not be subject to final evaluation. However, the scheme is a potentially viable one and at the current stage further evaluation regarding the grid connection and associated costs need to be conducted before any final decision should be made.
Interests and Nature of Interests Declared:
Councillor Cereste declared an interest in the item and did not take part in the debate or vote.
Councillor Holdich declared an interest in the item and did not take part in the debate or vote.
Publication date: 23/02/2015
Date of decision: 23/02/2015
Effective from: 27/02/2015
- It is not anticipated that there will be any documents other than the report and relevant appendices to be published.