Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Finance and Corporate Governance
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet Member is recommended to:
1. Award grant funding for Housing Related Supportin relation to supported accommodation for homeless households, which will be funded through the Housing Related Support Programme (formerly Supporting People Programme), to the following grant recipients for the periodfrom the signing of the CMDN to the 31 December 2023:
· Longhurst Group (formerly Axiom Housing Association) – Hostel accommodation and drop-in services - £425,722.53;
· Cross Keys Homes – hostel accommodation - £67,610.91
· Cambridgeshire & Peterborough YMCA – hostel accommodation - £200,860.28;
· Futures Housing Group – hostel accommodation - £46,641.96;
· Home Group – hostel accommodation - £58,938.63
The recommendations in this report will ensure that the continuity of Housing Related Support in relation to supported accommodation for homeless households to some of the most vulnerable in society is achieved, whilst the long-term solution is progressed.
Housing Related Support is provided for vulnerable people, often with complex support needs either in an accommodation-based setting, through drop-in support or through floating support provided by outreach workers. Our evidence shows that the Housing Related Support provided through the homeless hostels plays a significant role in helping to reduce homelessness in the city. Drop-in and floating support reaches hard to engage groups, assisting people with complex and entrenched needs, often living chaotic lifestyles.
The Homelessness Act 2002 sets out the Council’s powers to meet the aims of the act and its duties towards homeless people.
Cut funding completely and stop the Housing Related Support funding to grant recipients. This was rejected due to the adverse impact on the provision of hostel provision and homeless prevention.
Carry out a full procurement exercise imminently. This was rejected due to the time required to plan and conduct the procurement procedure and to ensure that funding and the deliverables would not be impacted in the short term whilst the procurement is conducted in time for new long-term contracts to commence in January 2024.
There were none.
There were none.
Publication date: 16/05/2023
Date of decision: 16/05/2023
Effective from: 20/05/2023