Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The purpose of this report is to set out the recommendations made by the independent Inspector and, subsequently, seek Cabinet’s approval to recommend the Minerals and Waste Local Plan to Council for adoption.
Cabinet considered the report and RESOLVED to:
1. Note the conclusions of the independent Inspector who was appointed to examine the submitted Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Minerals and Waste Local Plan (see Appendix A);
2. Subject to recommendation 6, recommend to Council the adoption of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Minerals and Waste Local Plan as set out in Appendix B, which incorporates modifications as recommended by the Inspector (Inspector ‘Main Modifications’ as found at the end of Appendix A) and other minor editorial modifications (‘Additional Modifications’ – see Appendix C);
3. Note that should Council adopt the Minerals and Waste Local Plan, the following council documents are revoked and must no longer be used for decision making:
· Minerals and Waste Core Strategy (2011)
· Minerals and Waste Site Specific Proposals (2012)
4. Subject to recommendation 2, recommend that Council endorses that the Peterborough ‘Policies Map’ be updated in accordance with Appendix D;
5. Subject to recommendation 2, agree to revoke the following two Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) for decision making in Peterborough, but with such revocation only taking effect from the same date that the new Minerals and Waste Local Plan is adopted:
· Location and Design of Waste Management Facilities Supplementary Planning Document (2011)
· RECAP Waste Management Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document (2012)
6. Recommend to Council that recommendation 2 only comes into effect if Cambridgeshire County Council has already agreed to adopt the Local Plan (which it is scheduled to do so on 20 July 2021); or, if that agreement is not yet achieved by Cambridgeshire County Council, recommendation 2 comes into effect from the date that Cambridgeshire County Council does agree to adopt the Plan. If Cambridgeshire County Council agree not to adopt the Plan, then recommendations 2-5 become null and void.
7. Delegate to the Head of Sustainable Growth Strategy, in consultation with colleagues at Cambridgeshire County Council, to make any minor presentational or typographical errors to the documents referred in this item, prior to their publication.
As outlined in the report, Council only has two substantive options available to it; either adopt the document with the modifications (and any additional very minor corrections if any arise, such as any typographical amendments) or not adopt the document. The former is recommended, as it is a statutory duty to prepare a Minerals and Waste Local Plan, and, in adopting it, Peterborough will have a clear and robust policy document in relation to minerals and waste developments.
The option of not adopting the Minerals and Waste Local Plan is not recommended, as it would result in Peterborough not having up to date policy for planners and minerals and waste operators to use to guide and inform developments. A lack of up to date policy would leave Peterborough vulnerable to speculative developments that may not be in preferred, most sustainable or suitable locations, and could lead to greater challenges at appeal.
Publication date: 12/07/2021
Date of decision: 12/07/2021
Decided at meeting: 12/07/2021 - Cabinet