Regional Pool: replacement option - SEPT20/CMDN/26
Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Housing, Culture and Recreation
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet Member:
1. Endorsed the outcomes of the analysis set out in this report and the accompanying annexes and support the case for replacing the existing Regional Pool facility.
2. Approved the selection of Pleasure Fair Meadows as the preferred location for a new Regional Pool leisure facility subject to a detailed business case being developed.
3. Instructed Council officers to develop a detailed business case, working with Peterborough Investment Partnership.
Reasons for the decision:
It is evident that, at some point in the next few years, the Council will need to address the issue of replacing or renovating the Regional Pool. In this context, the approach by the PIP is both timely and opportune. Work undertaken on the development of a detailed business case will be of considerable value in allowing the Council to make an informed decision.
Alternative options considered:
The option of the Council directly re-providing the regional pool has been discounted at present as a result of pressures on the Council’s revenue budget and capital programme. However, it is clear that a sustainable solution will need to be found for the Regional Pool within the next 5-10 years. The opportunity to use Pleasure Fair as a suitable alternative site would be lost if it were to be taken forward by the PIP for other forms of development. It is therefore considered opportune to explore the PFM option at this point.
Interests and Nature of Interests Declared:
This report is submitted to Councillor Allen as Cabinet Member for Housing, Culture and Recreation, as Councillor Hiller, Cabinet Member for Strategic Planning and Commercial Strategy and Investments, and Councillor Holdich, Leader of the Council & Deputy Mayor of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority, sit on the Peterborough Investment Partnership Board.
Publication date: 09/09/2020
Date of decision: 09/09/2020
Effective from: 15/09/2020
- External consultant's report reviewing size of leisure market for swimming and related activities in Peterborough.
- 2020 Decision Notice Pleasure Fair Regional Pool Development - PUB PDF 1 MB