Approval to acquire the former Silver Jubilee Public House, in Heltwate, Peterborough - FEB20/CMDN/81
Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Children’s Services, Education, Skills and the University
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet Member:
1. Approved the purchase of the former Silver Jubilee Public House for £650k.
2. Approved the associated stamp duty land tax of £22k.
3. Approved related professional fees of £7k + VAT.
Reasons for the decision:
Due to the nature and complex needs of the current cohort of pupils, the school is experiencing additional health and safety incidents due to limited space both internally and externally on the site. The class sizes are having to reduce to allow for the needs of the children and the school are having to use spaces as classrooms that would normally be used as group rooms etc.
Alternative options considered:
1. Do nothing and leave the school with inadequate facilities to deal with the current cohort of children with complex needs.
2. Find an alternative larger site. This option was discounted as the cost of moving existing facilities made it uneconomical.
3. Expanding the school’s existing facilities. This option was discounted as the site is already constrained.
Interests and Nature of Interests Declared:
Publication date: 05/02/2020
Date of decision: 05/02/2020
Effective from: 11/02/2020